Last Updated: 04.16.2022
There’s not much better than a weird law. You know, you’ve seen the list of weird laws like, “it’s illegal to walk your elephant off-leash on Tuesdays.” Well, the good news is that in addition to all the standard laws in Baltimore, there are plenty of strange ones too. Here are our top 7 favorite weird Baltimore laws:
7. Body studios prohibited
It is unlawful for any person:
- to operate, conduct, or maintain a body studio;
- to knowingly conduct any business related thereto on the premises of a body studio; or
- to knowingly be employed on such premises.
Art. 19. § 4-3
If anyone knows what a body studio is, please let us know because we aren’t sure!
6. Major league baseball games shall not be played at Oriole Park at Camden Yards with non-major league baseball players.
Art. 19 § 22-2.
Apparently, if MLB decides to use replacement players during a strike, Peter Angelos can get thrown in the slammer?
5. Outside riding.
- Prohibited conduct. It is unlawful for any person to ride on a bumper, fender, or any exterior portion of any public passenger motor bus or other common carriers.
- Penalties. Any person violating the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor. – $10 fine.
Art. 19, § 29-4.
Isn’t a bus pass more than $10?
4. Prohibited Placement.
A person may not install an outdoor telephone.
Art. 19 § 41-2.
Ok, so what exactly is an outdoor telephone and why is it so bad? The fine is $1000 per occurrence, so it must be pretty bad.
3. Star-Spangled Banner in Public
- In general. “The Star-Spangled Banner” shall not be played, sung, or rendered in the City of Baltimore in any public place, or at any public entertainment, or in any theatre or moving picture hall, restaurant, or cafe, except as an entire and separate composition or number, without embellishments of national or other melodies.
- Use in medley prohibited. Nor shall “The Star-Spangled Banner” or any part thereof or selection from the same be played as a part or selection of a medley of any kind.
Art. 19 § 49-1.
No that’s not a joke, it’s a real law that you can be cited for and subject to conviction of a misdemeanor and a fine of $100.
2. You cannot throw any bale from the 2nd-floor door or window onto the street. $20 fine.
Not to be confused with Bail. You could kill someone with a bale of hay.
1. It is unlawful to possess a “Stench Bomb”
Art. 19, §59-30.
Yes, a stench bomb. A $500 fine for your flatulence
The Bottom Line on Weird Laws in Baltimore Maryland
As you can see Baltimore has some weird laws on the books. If you find yourself in need of representation because you get caught on a weird law contact ENLawyers.